LED replacements for interior "map" lights?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Si_Zim
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Simon
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43SE
Airports: KCDW

Re: LED replacements for interior "map" lights?

Post by Si_Zim »

I'm about to order a few of the LM1024WB-W bulbs from the above link. Just wanted to check if anyone had any further updates on them (brightness, longevity etc)?
My interior lights have never worked (always used headlight/flashlight) so dont know what to expect really. Would it be sensible to get one red bulb (of the three) to use for night vision preservation or would that not work so well?

I saw on the Diamond site that the original bulbs would be OSR 2845 (24V 5W T4W wedge) bulbs but saw no mention of the above LEDs as part replacements. Can someone show me where this is detailed?

Thanks!
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The LEDs work well but the fixture itself is junk.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I'd pay a couple hundred for a better fixture. I replaced the pilots light with an LED and it blew out in less than a month.

This is one of those times that I can't understand why a fixture in the Chevy Spark I'm driving is more robust, better designed and cheaper than the item in the airplane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Si_Zim
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Simon
Aircraft Registration: N43SE
Airports: KCDW

Post by Si_Zim »

My replacement LEDs arrived from bulbtown. Was a bit of a wait.
Quick question - would swapping out the interior bulbs count as something the owner could perform (simple maintenance) or would it need to go to A/P?
Thanks!
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Si_Zim wrote:My replacement LEDs arrived from bulbtown. Was a bit of a wait.
Quick question - would swapping out the interior bulbs count as something the owner could perform (simple maintenance) or would it need to go to A/P?
Thanks!
Personally I would do it. But, be forewarned that the only bulbs you are allowed to replace per FAR part 43 is:

Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights. Replacement is allowed in these two systems.

Interior cabin lights are not listed as replaceable/servicable parts by the owner!!
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

carym wrote:
Si_Zim wrote:would swapping out the interior bulbs count as something the owner could perform (simple maintenance) or would it need to go to A/P?
Personally I would do it. But, be forewarned that the only bulbs you are allowed to replace per FAR part 43 is:
Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights. Replacement is allowed in these two systems.

Interior cabin lights are not listed as replaceable/servicable parts by the owner!!
Reasonable people often disagree on the interpretation of FARs. So this is something that you might want to discuss with your A/P.

Like Cary, I have no issue replacing these lights. But FWIW I think it is allowed by section 43.

Although FAR section 43 Appendix A (apparently last updated about 1946... :roll: ) does not specifically authorize interior lights, the list of approved maintenance includes:
FAR 43 Appendix A wrote:(11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.
IMO, one could reasonably interpret "decorative furnishings" to include the overhead lights... But others may disagree, and that's OK. :thumbsup:

Chris
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

I bought a pair of 24V wedge base T10 3 LED bulbs in a highway gas station in Belgium fo 8€ !
I tried one in the pilot light and it works great.
Attachments
photo.JPG
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

"11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft."

Maybe I have this wrong but a cabin light is not on the required equipment list or preflight checklist. This might be why they are not listed, pro or con, in FAR43. My other aircraft have had panel lights but this is the first one that had an overhead courtesy or map light. Also, I have never heard of a requirement to placard an INOP interior light. This would follow because they are not required and in any event you would not necessarily know if they were INOP because there is no checklist requirement (similar to there being no requirement to check the Aux (cigarette) power port or the glare shields you might have stuck to the canopy. If all this is true, what kind of bulb you use would seem to be a matter of personal choice. Tungsten, straight LED, CREE, etc. In addition, changing out a bulb may not fall under "repair." All speculative, I guess, but I am changing mine out when I find the right replacements.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

rwtucker wrote:"Maybe I have this wrong but a cabin light is not on the required equipment list or preflight checklist.
I don't know about the DA40, but it is on the MEL and checklist (indirectly) for the DA42 in several locations:
MEL (operating limitations):
Night VFR Flights
Instrument lighting
Flood light
Flashlight

Check list:
Preflight inspection:
All electrical equipment - OFF

Before taxiing:
Electrical equipment - ON as required
Flood light - ON, test function as required

Shut-down:
Electrical consumers - OFF

The "Flood light" is probably the instrument panel lights, it could also be construed as part of the "map lights". While I would still replace them myself, one could easily run into a FSDO inspector who will want to see the A&P/IA sign off.

Inspectors can be unreasonable. I "met" one who marked a plane as unairworthy because he saw the prop tips bent up. When shown that these were normal "Q-tip blades" he refused to remove the unairworthy tag. It became a nightmare for the plane's owner to resolve.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Carey, I agree on the illogical FSDO wild card. I saw one here argue for six months about an arcane and irrelevant interpretation on a 1938 Aeronca.

That said, I think we have logic on our side. A flashlight is required under specified conditions but there are no specifications as to lumens, color temperature, or the type of bulb. Five years ago, most flashlights were tungsten or tungsten halogen. Now, they are virtually 100% LED. When panels changed away from red lights based on new physiological and psychological research, I don't think there were any changes in the regs.