4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: Starter problem - AOG

Post by Tim H »

Henrikl-

The A&P that worked on my airplane did the exact same thing. He charged the battery (only becuase it was a little low...only took 15 minutes on low charge to bring it up to full charge). He said he moved the prop to ensure the starter wasn't stuck in the engaged position. Then it started 12 times in a row. My home A&P also suggested a dead spot in the started. But the mystery to me is how moving the prop changes the dead spot in the starter when the starter isn't engaged with the flywheel?

I've ordered a spare starter to have on board for the flight home so at least I have the part with me in case I have any more problems.

Thanks for all in the advice.

Tim
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Had another starter problem this afternoon. Got back from Oshkosh, and tried to restart the airplane and it would not start. Moved the prop 4 inches, tried again (per EHL posting) and BINGO, it started right up. I simply do not understand how this solves this problem. Moving the prop is completely independent of the starting system (as I understand it).
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

Hello
I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but it looks as if my starter motor has failed. Getting the clunk but no prop movement at all.
Initially they thought it might be the battery as it was showing only 23.7 volts when trying to restart. Recharged the battery and the prop turned over but did not start. Now just a clunk...
Hope to get this fixed quickly.

Cheers Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Robin,

This is similar to the symptoms of mine, gradually getting worse. (I posted on it in another thread.) Finally, I could not jostle it into a start. Turned out, the starter was toast inside and, they said, had been for some time, just getting worse. The "clunk" could be the outboard mounted solenoid.

Talk to the guys at Sky-Tec. They are easy to get along with and will work with you, even if out of warranty.

Do you recall having some starts in excess of 10 seconds cranking time?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Hey Robin:

If your starter turned, I don't think that is the problem. How old is your battery? No load battery voltage on our battery when fully charged should be 25.8 volts. I see around 25 volts when the master is on. 23.7 volts is less than 25% charge...

Steve
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

Tim H wrote:Had another starter problem this afternoon. Got back from Oshkosh, and tried to restart the airplane and it would not start. Moved the prop 4 inches, tried again (per EHL posting) and BINGO, it started right up. I simply do not understand how this solves this problem. Moving the prop is completely independent of the starting system (as I understand it).
Assuming that the starter is disengaged, it is, but you also want to think about the "slack" space between compression cycles. When my Sky-Tec was failing, I could back the prop to the beginning of a low compression position and get enough momentum to get the starter to do its job . . . one more time, until there was no one more time. This goes to the internal mechanics of the windings, etc. and I can only speculate on the details. I can say for certain that the technique worked and, for certain, that my Sky-Tec was fried, that it was the cause,, and that the solenoid, gears, and electrical system (starter switch, relay, etc.) were in mint condition. I tested them all.
Last edited by rwtucker on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Robin »

rwtucker wrote:Robin,

Do you recall having some starts in excess of 10 seconds cranking time?
Hi Robert

I was joking just the other day - hence all the problems now, that DA 40.1078 starts first time, everytime with a cold start, and now I am on top of the hot starts the same with a hot start.

The clunk is definitely the outboard solenoid, as we took the cowl off as we replaced the battery. We turned the starter key and could easily hear the clunk in the small white box on the firewall above the battery.

Cheers

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

Robin wrote:. . . I am on top of the hot starts the same with a hot start.
The funny thing with me is that I do not recall any 10 second starts. I do recall difficult hot starts until I finally worked up a foolproof procedure (slow learner) 8) . In my discussion with the Sky-Tec factory, the mechanic acknowledged that an accumulation of sub-10 second starts might have a similar effect. In the end, I gave up trying to figure it out but I am now so careful that I count the seconds and stop if I exceed four. This almost never happens now but did a lot when I first got the aircraft.
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Robin »

Steve wrote:Hey Robin:

If your starter turned, I don't think that is the problem. How old is your battery? No load battery voltage on our battery when fully charged should be 25.8 volts. I see around 25 volts when the master is on. 23.7 volts is less than 25% charge...

Steve

Hey Steve

That was the first thing we did, a NEW battery, the original battery was nearly 5 years old. With a new battery even fully charged the same thing now happens.

Yes my battery was usually 28 volts, having this issue has made me watch the volts, amps etc

Such is flying.

Compared to my last stranding, in the centre of Australia, this has meant a 3 hours train trip home.

Cheers

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Robin:

I didn't realize that you had tried a new battery. That being the case, it is either the starter or starter relay. When My starter failed, I got it rebuilt by Sky-Tec and back in less than 48 hours (but their factory is just up the road in Georgetown, TX). I'm sure shipping time for you will be slightly longer. I now keep a spare in the hangar, just in case...

Good luck,

Steve