5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

DA20 crashed near Egelsbach, Germany

Post by Kai »

A few hours ago a DA20 after take-off crashed near Egelsbach/Frankfurt critically injuring the co-pilot and killing her husband. It seems they struck a railway powerline. Other sources say the co-pilot was killed and the pilot survived.

Link only in German for right now.
DA20_Egelsbach_crash.jpg
657073968-20150630_123536-NHa7.jpg
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: DA20 crashed near Egelsbach, Germany

Post by RMarkSampson »

My sympathy goes out to the families.

As a DA-20 flyer myself, this is the second fatal outcome (fairly recently) I have seen for a decision to use a railway track in an off-field landing. This is something I have been thinking about since I have a railway track near my home airport and have made a mental note of it with regard to my own engine-out scenario. While a railway track might look similar to a runway, those trees in the background start looking like a much softer spot although they look nothing like a runway. You would be kissing your plane goodbye but you might be better off having the trees/bushes cushion the likely abrupt stop. You have only a few seconds to decide so it is important to mentally run through these things beforehand.

From this picture, the landing gear looks intact and the outcome may have been more a result of the overhead power lines than the touchdown. Using a German to English online translator - "the machine touched the upper line of the nearby railway line , crashed and burst into flames." I'm certainly interested in knowing if the fuel system was compromised and if the power line was the cause of the fire - and if the pilot had the opportunity to shut off the master fuel switch.

Once again - my heartfelt sympathies go out to my fellow DA-20 flyer. I also could not figure out exactly who survived but I do wish for a speedy recovery for the one that did.