ADS-B out

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

ADS-B out

Post by Wall-e »

I am told by a Diamond Dealer that the solution to ADS-B out for G1000 systems is the GDL 88.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/digital/in ... 63471.html

This a hardware box that will be installed in the area under the rear seat and will interface with the G1000 via ethernet and yet to be developed software. Since Garmin has announced a solution for the King Air installation, maybe the solution for us is nearing. You can only hope. Lots can change before 2020.
Wally
CFII
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Re: ADS-B out

Post by Keith M »

On past experience, if Diamond have to be involved in implementing the "yet to be developed software" for the G1000, their proposed solution will be to buy a new aircraft. Sorry to be so cynical, but Diamond have refused to update the G1000 system software for the DA40-TDI since 2006.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: ADS-B out

Post by CFIDave »

Wally:
I would direct you to the other threads on ADS-B here on the forum. The GDL-88 is but one of a number of alternative solutions emerging, each of which have different trade-offs with respect to altitude, geographic coverage, ease of installation, utilization of pre-existing WAAS GPS (or not) capabilities, cost, etc. For some of us a better and cheaper solution for ADS-B Out will be a new GTX-33ES transponder instead of a GDL-88.

At this point we're still awaiting Garmin and then Diamond to make the enabling G1000 software available for all of these products.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI