Diamond Aircraft - Yes to Farnborough and No to Oshkosh

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHPN

Diamond Aircraft - Yes to Farnborough and No to Oshkosh

Post by HPNAviator »

I attended the AOPA Fly-In yesterday, in Plymouth MA, and was informed that Diamond Aircraft have decided to skip Oshkosh this year however they will be present at the Farnborough International Air Show in the UK which opens tomorrow.

Perhaps this signifies more focus on special mission and ISR applications with the DA42 MPP than the GA market in general.

Let's see what gets announced this week, if anything.
Robert C.
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: NONE
Airports: KDXR

Re: Diamond Aircraft - Yes to Farnborough and No to Oshkosh

Post by Robert C. »

Ah drat, wish I'd known. Was there myself with several club mates.

Flying the pattern was "interesting" wasn't it :)

Robert
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Post by GLDAS »

It was great to put faces with several of the "names" here. This is the second AOPA fly-in we've participated in this season, and it was a perfect day. For any west coasters, I'd really encourage you to attend one of the two remaining events.

The format is, from my perspective as a vendor, a lot better than the old three or four day AOPA events. While it may be less convenient for some to schedule around one single day, it does help to create a critical mass of interest, content and attendance.

The pattern on Friday PM was interesting. At 5:30, there were at least 10 planes on the approach, and this was the day before the show! My son and I flew what looks like 1/3 of the way across the country and back the next day in a DA42NG, and I was again impressed with what a comfortable and capable plane it is.

As for OSH, I'm optimistic that we will have new products, a great display, and a strong presence for the event next year.

-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
eHotAir
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Doug
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: N333WF
Airports: KBWG

Post by eHotAir »

I cannot believe it. I was going to Osh Kosh to meet the Diamond folks. Dang it!
Doug Robertson
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

GLDAS wrote: My son and I flew what looks like 1/3 of the way across the country and back the next day in a DA42NG, and I was again impressed with what a comfortable and capable plane it is.

As for OSH, I'm optimistic that we will have new products, a great display, and a strong presence for the event next year.

-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Dan,
Your NG conversion is really nice (I enjoyed seeing it and you at the Indy event). I just want to add that flying the 1.7 DA42 all the way across the country (to Alaska last year) also proved to be a comfortable and capable plane. Unfortunately, I am due for another pair of clutch replacements in about 30 hours :(
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The lack of Diamond exhibit at Oshkosh is somewhat related to Diamond's US business model, which is to rely on regional distributors (e.g., Premier, Dominion, Great Lakes, KCAC, etc.) to market and sell new Diamond aircraft. This is in contrast to Cirrus that sells direct via its own national sales force.

This means that the cost of exhibiting tends to fall mostly on the regional distributors. For a regional show like Sun N Fun in Florida, it makes economic sense for a southeast US distributor like Premiere to pick up most of the exhibition cost, since most attendees are potential customers from within their region.

But AirVenture in Oshkosh as a national (or even international) show means that any particular Diamond distributor would be prohibited from selling new Diamond aircraft to most of the potential visitors to a Diamond exhibit. This makes it hard for any Diamond distributor to economically justify funding and staffing the exhibit. The result: no Diamond exhibit there.

One can get into all types of arguments pro and con about direct vs. indirect marketing and distribution models for aircraft sales, but from a customer standpoint buyers are arguably best served by distributors. Unlike Cirrus salespeople who can only sell Cirrus aircraft, Diamond regional distributors can offer a large variety of (Diamond and non-Diamond) used aircraft by acting as aircraft brokers, as well as selling new Diamond aircraft -- whatever is in the best interest of the customer.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

CFIDave wrote:The lack of Diamond exhibit at Oshkosh is somewhat related to Diamond's US business model, which is to rely on regional distributors (e.g., Premier, Dominion, Great Lakes, KCAC, etc.) to market and sell new Diamond aircraft. This is in contrast to Cirrus that sells direct via its own national sales force.

So do the USA distributors now compete among each other or are they assigned exclusive territories?
If they are assigned territories they could do some type of co-op for exhibiting at Oshkosh.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

So do the USA distributors now compete among each other or are they assigned exclusive territories?
The distributors have exclusive territories so they don't compete with each other for new Diamond aircraft sales -- but do compete somewhat for used aircraft (a few share used aircraft listings).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Well if that is the case you would think they could do a co-op and split the sales leads by territory.
Just sayin. Maybe Jeff from Premier could jump in here and give his opinion.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

And now this - http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... rt-401573/

More money spent on pipe dream projects that takes away from support and upgrades for us that have avgas Diamonds. Sorry to sound so negative, but I don't have any warm fuzzies about the future of Lycoming, Rotax or Continental powered Diamonds.

Krea Ellis