Seattle to east coast - IFR below 12.5K feet?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Localizer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Yuri
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N779US
Airports: KGMU

Seattle to east coast - IFR below 12.5K feet?

Post by Localizer »

Hello everyone,
Are there any IFR routes to cross the mountains (Seattle to south-east) without oxygen? I have looked a bit, but I cannot find a way to get across with published MEAs. I did not check all the way down to southern California as it seems too far.
If there are none, what are good and scenic VFR routes? Good stops?

Thanks!
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Seattle to east coast - IFR below 12.5K feet?

Post by Chris B »

Localizer wrote:Are there any IFR routes to cross the mountains (Seattle to south-east) without oxygen?
Hi Yuri -

Here is one:
SEA YKM PDT BKE BOI V4 BYI MLD FBR OCS CKW MBW CYS, etc.
Highest MEA is 12200.

This basically follows Highway 84 through the northwest, and then Highway 80 through the Rockies. In a light single I like having a giant runway under the high spots. ;)

One great thing about flying IFR is that you (almost) always will have radio coverage. So you can get help quickly if there are problems. But hopefully the weather will be VFR!

If you are going to be spending significant time above 10k, you really should consider O2. Speaking for myself, the difference between "toughing it out" and snorting O2 basically comes down to : a) having a bad headache, or b) feeling energized at the end of the day. One of these is a lot more pleasant! I also suspect that my judgment is better when I'm on oxygen.

FWIW when I flew out to OSH in 2012, we roughly followed Highway 80 at only a few thousand feet AGL. Seeing the sights in this way was a lot of fun, and a completely different experience than standard air carrier travel, or even flying the airways at 9-12k. But it is slower, and burns more gas.

You probably already know this, but for any of these high routes the best flying - by far - is in the very early morning hours. The pounding in the afternoon gets old really fast, high DA becomes an issue with warm temps, and thunderstorms become a major concern.

Chris
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

Everything Chris says. Particulalry flying in the morning. The I 80 route is basically V6. If you stop in Ogden on the way (along this route), i can lend you a two place portable 02 bottle.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

+1 on the O2. If it is a long trip and I am above 5,000 feet I am on oxygen. I used to ignore it and be wiped out at the end of the day. Now if I take the trouble to hook it up I can fly a 9hr day and still be upright for a nice dinner where ever we have landed.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Localizer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Yuri
Aircraft Registration: N779US
Airports: KGMU

Post by Localizer »

Thank you, guys!
Chris, thanks for the route.
Paul, thank you for the offer. Is this right to assume that empty O2 bottles can be shipped via UPS?
I live in SC and have never flown with oxygen here There's just no need. I appreciate advice and will think of O2 and how to get it.
Yuri
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Localizer wrote:Is this right to assume that empty O2 bottles can be shipped via UPS?
Hi Yuri -

Yes, definitely. I bought all my stuff from Mountain High (link), and everything arrived UPS.

For a one-shot use, rental (or borrowing!) makes more sense if you can swing it. But like Colin, I use O2 above about 7k for any long hauls. Arriving energized is a lot more fun! I've empirically found that the optimal cruise altitude for my DA40 is about 9-11k. So you might consider O2 even in "flat" areas, especially at night.

If you decide to buy into oxygen, I recommend getting the AL-647 cylinder. I originally bought the AL-415 and found it too small. The bigger tank has about 50% more run time, but only costs slightly more to refill. In my experience, the numbers in this duration chart (link) are reasonably accurate. The pulsed EDS units are expensive, but they dramatically reduce O2 consumption and work great.

Chris
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I've flown that route a few times in our DA40 and there really is only one ridge between MLD and FBR where you start to feel you want more altitude than 12.5k. I wouldn't do it without O2, though, since that stretch can be pretty bumpy in the summer and higher will generally be smoother. Crossing Wyoming tends to be pretty choppy as well unless you're up high.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

FYI, "up high" across Wyoming is an interesting term. 11,000 ft. is, at best, about 4,000 AGL until you start nearing Cheyenne. There it's like 5,000. The last time, at lean-of-peak and 11K MSL I reached BYI nonstop in 4 hours with 10 gallons left of my 40. Then went VFR non-stop to Loveland. I typically fly VFR over the higher Rockies. I did do an IFR flight from Rock Springs to Loveland once, though, as the East side of the Rockies was clouded over with relatively benign IMC conditions.

I've done this route a couple of times into Loveland.

Another time from KVUO - KBOI and then via Casper onward to Ontario. Mostly VFR.

I avoid flying over Central Idaho. Nasty, lonely, country should one need to go down in there.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you get an O2 system, I also strongly recommend the 2-person Mountain High O2D2 pulse-demand system. Not only does it reduce your O2 consumption dramatically so you don't have to fill the bottle as often, it also automatically compensates for altitude to deliver the appropriate O2 level as you climb or descend, reducing the workload for you and your passenger.

After selling our DA40 I figured out how to adapt the Mountain High pulse-demand unit to the built-in 50 cu foot tank in the nose of our DA42; it still works great.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

+1 on the Mountain High O2D2. I've had one for a couple of years and it is great! The tank seems to last forever...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)