The conundrum of ADS-B

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: The conundrum of ADS-B

Post by rwtucker »

Dave -- I'm jumping airframes here but a quick question. Studying the SB for the ADS-B capable DA42 firmware, it reminded me of something. Do you know if the install procedure requires XM to be live to configure 0321.23? And, am I correct in thinking that 0321.24 will support the GTX33ES?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

rwtucker wrote:Dave -- I'm jumping airframes here but a quick question. Studying the SB for the ADS-B capable DA42 firmware, it reminded me of something. Do you know if the install procedure requires XM to be live to configure 0321.23? And, am I correct in thinking that 0321.24 will support the GTX33ES?
1. You can activate XM satellite anytime after installing new G1000 software, provided that your installer configures the G1000 to have a GDL69A receiver in your aircraft. So the short answer is XM doesn't have to be live at the time of software install.

2. I have no information regarding what features will be included in 0321.24 for the DA40. In the past, new DA40 G1000 software releases have tended to copy the same new features previously made available for the DA42, so there's a chance it might support the GTX33ES.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Watch out for misinformation

Post by Rich »

I was at a local shop the other day for a matter unrelated to ADS-B. I was speaking with the woman who kind of manages the place. Generally she's on top of stuff and I like chatting with her. I mentioned the workaround that allowed installing the KT74 for ADS-B in my plane. She said I could have more easily installed a Sandia STX 165 for a lot less dough and the chassis is small enough it would have fit more readily in the Star.

She was MAJORLY wrong. You can research it yourself. This unit is NOT an ADS-B out device. It is compatible with ADS-B out if you have a WAAS/UAT device installed. Plus it says it's only suitable for VFR.

Sandia has recently announced a unit they expect to ship next year that will do ADS-B out but it's an odd duck. It doesn't do 1090ES it does UAT out/in. Essentially it's a combo Mode C transponder and UAT. Supposedly one can use the same antenna for transponder signals and UAT. But the price of the unit is nothing special. Not too much more information available, as it's not yet on their web site.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Interesting response to a Letter to the Editors of Aviation Consumer (page 3 of May 2015 issue) regarding a Garmin solution for owners of non-WAAS G1000's. If I'm reading it correctly, Garmin is saying "a solution will be made available to aircraft manufacturers well before January 1, 2020".
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

Maybe we need to start asking (Diamond) about solutions for WAAS G1000s as well... Saw the DA42 post a while back so they're not completely forgetting everyone. I wonder how quickly Garmin can turn around the GTX33 upgrade when thousands of people start sending them in all at once.

And speaking of untimely ADS-B pursuits, has anyone heard about the Avidyne TAS-A upgrades?
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Post by Cschobel »

I understand from Diamond that Diamond is NOT planning on approving the GDL88 when Garmin gets it approved. So it will not be available on the DA40 since it must be driven by Diamond. The solution they are planning is an exchange of the 330 transponder to 330 ES extended Squitter. This will make the DA40 legal with out signal but there is no plan to provide a solution for IN. I understand an exchange with Garmin for the 330 ES may be about $1200
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Cschobel wrote:I understand from Diamond that Diamond is NOT planning on approving the GDL88 when Garmin gets it approved. So it will not be available on the DA40 since it must be driven by Diamond. The solution they are planning is an exchange of the 330 transponder to 330 ES extended Squitter. This will make the DA40 legal with out signal but there is no plan to provide a solution for IN. I understand an exchange with Garmin for the 330 ES may be about $1200
How will this work if there is no WAAS avionics such as in G1000 equipped planes with only the GIA63 radios?
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Cschobel wrote:I understand from Diamond that Diamond is NOT planning on approving the GDL88 when Garmin gets it approved. So it will not be available on the DA40 since it must be driven by Diamond. The solution they are planning is an exchange of the 330 transponder to 330 ES extended Squitter. This will make the DA40 legal with out signal but there is no plan to provide a solution for IN. I understand an exchange with Garmin for the 330 ES may be about $1200
There may be a potential solution for ADS-B "IN" for those DA40/DA42 owners who have equipped with the Avidyne TAS600/TAS605 active traffic unit. At one point Avidyne announced an offer of an upgrade from the 600/605 to 605A for $2000 -- this adds ADS-B traffic (TIS-B) but not weather (FIS-B) so that the G1000 provides an integrated display of both transponder and ADS-B traffic. My understanding is that installation of the "A" model would not require Diamond's approval. Perhaps ominously the sign-up page for the upgrade no longer seems to exist, despite the current price list showing the A models: http://www.avidyne.com/downloads/brochu ... ail_PL.pdf
Last edited by CFIDave on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Post by Cschobel »

I should have added that the 330 ES is only for WAAS systems. I do not know any solution for non WAAS at this time.
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

CFIDave wrote: There may be a potential solution for ADS-B "IN" for those DA40/DA42 owners who have equipped with the Avidyne TAS600/TAS605 active traffic unit. At one point Avidyne announced an offer of an upgrade from the 600/605 to 605A for $2000 -- this adds ADS-B traffic (TIS-B) but not weather (FIS-B) so that the G1000 provides an integrated display of both transponder and ADS-B traffic. My understanding is that installation of the "A" model would not require Diamond's approval. Perhaps ominously the sign-up page for the upgrade no longer seems to exist, despite the current price list showing the A models: http://www.avidyne.com/downloads/brochu ... ail_PL.pdf
To follow up on this comment, I contacted Avidyne to ask about the status of the "A" model TAS600-series active traffic units for Diamond DA40s and DA42s, and whether/when existing units could be upgraded to the "A" series. Here's the response I got:

Currently, we're working with the FAA on a couple projects that'll be wrapped into the "A" series upgrade. While we're expecting to have it completed by the end of the year, we are not yet shipping. Once available, we'll get the firmware and software update for your box, and you'll be receiving ADS-B traffic in addition to active interrogations.

I consider this positive news, allowing both ADS-B and transponder-only equipped aircraft to be displayed simultaneously on G1000 screens.

Unfortunately for our DA42-VI, the entire air conditioning system located behind the rear baggage area will need to be removed for access to the Avidyne TAS605 unit in the tail. DA40 and DA42 owners without air conditioning won't have this issue.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI