The conundrum of ADS-B

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: The conundrum of ADS-B

Post by rwtucker »

hoyaj wrote:
Colin wrote:"Plan to meet FAA 2020 ADS-B OUT requirement once TSO-C154c certification has been completed"
I think this assumes that the FAA will accept aircraft position data from a handheld device. My sense of that, given a 99.9% availability threshold, is unlikely, bordering on extremely unlikely. ymmv
Interesting point. This device appears to be no different than any other device that might be mounted on the panel, etc. the exception being that the current configuration acquires power through the aux (cigarette) plug. It could be hard wired.
hoyaj
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bob
Airports:

Post by hoyaj »

rwtucker wrote: It could be hard wired.
Isn't it "installed" at that point?

I am highly skeptical that the FAA - in the post radar era - will depend on safety of flight data to (legally) separate aircraft from anything less than a fully certified and installed system.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I fear that you are correct. As I understand it, one of the many objectives goes to homeland security and -- so the reasoning goes -- it is in US interest to have ADS-B Out linked to the aircraft and not portable. If that is correct, it seems like another case of making it more difficult for the good guys in the process of looking for bad guys where the light is bright. I can see the need for hard wiring -- you don't want to pull the plug by accident. It gets pretty arbitrary beyond that. It could easily turn out that a particular "portable" unit is more reliable (electronically speaking) than a fully integrated Garmin. If the standard were to be based on demonstrated reliability in the field, I would get it.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

So I am thinking of it as a temporary solution to provide me a full traffic view and to light up ads-b towers for others with no out capability until the mandate. That works out to less than 250/year. At that point there will hopefully be a proper solution for our DA 40's with G1000 - especially non WAAS like mine.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
CarlB
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Carl
Aircraft Registration: VH-YJP
Airports: YSCN

Post by CarlB »

Wow.... read all 64 Posts. Here in Australia we have to comply earlier with ADS-B out. In fact, ANY IFR aircraft imported from Feb this year has to be ADS-B out equipped......... so no new Diamond aircraft into Australia..... (or any G1000 equipped aircraft for that matter), if the GTX33ES (1090 here) is not a plug-and-play at this stage!!
Any thoughts on this? Am I interpreting correctly?

Carl B
CarlB
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Carl
Aircraft Registration: VH-YJP
Airports: YSCN

Post by CarlB »

I spoke to a large avionics shop here today. He apparently had a written communication in September from Diamond to suggest that the G1000 software required, to work with the GTX33ES to give ADS-B out would be issued in a 'couple of months'. He also stated that Garmin has the software, all Diamond have to do is ask for it. The statement I made above about 'any G1000 aircraft for that matter' is not correct. The solution is available now, it just has to come thru the aircraft vendor, not Garmin.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Research today indicates there is a workable solution for use 530W/430W folks. STC in place for the Trig TT31 with an AML that includes the DA 40. The TT31 now supports the aforementioned Garmin units. I'll try to confirm with American Avionics the next few days.

The Trig is a little bit longer than the 327, but considerably shorter than the 330, so it should fit pretty easily in the 327 location.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

So it looks like a KT74 will be my solution. It's built by Trig, but is more usable, as it has a keyboard like the Garmin transponders. Installation in a couple of weeks. I'll report back after I get to try it out.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
keithPTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Airports: KFFC

Post by keithPTC »

Appareo, the company that makes the Stratus, had their all-in-one solution at OSH in 2014. Certification planned for 2015. It's a 1090 ES transponder and certified WAAS GPS in the same box. Integrates nicely with iPad and Foreflight. Might be worth the wait for non-glass aircraft. Here's a link http://bit.ly/1xbZ5tc
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

keithPTC wrote:Appareo, the company that makes the Stratus, had their all-in-one solution at OSH in 2014. Certification planned for 2015. It's a 1090 ES transponder and certified WAAS GPS in the same box. Integrates nicely with iPad and Foreflight. Might be worth the wait for non-glass aircraft. Here's a link http://bit.ly/1xbZ5tc
This looks intriguing. The only caveat is how long before it's certified and therefore truly available. It always takes far longer to get past the FAA swamp than expected. I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll be available this year. But if you are OK with waiting, looks good.

The reason I chose a transponder swap as the approach is it's a simpler installation for me. No new antenna, e.g., which can be a challenge to get right.