Quiet on the boards....

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Fred
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N867DS
Airports: KMMK

Quiet on the boards....

Post by Fred »

Either a lot of flying going on or everyone is running out of things to say.

I'm getting ready for the Sebring, FL Acrobatic competition this Thur/Fri/Sat. I am in a Pitts S-2-A competing in primary level (beginners). In the spring I'll move up to sportsman's or intermediate where there is more competition and pilots.

Thought it would be a fun experience and something to check off the bucket list.
Fred F.
Home Airport: KMMK
ASEL IFR
DA40 XLS, Various other Pistons
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Re: Quiet on the boards....

Post by Jean »

Hello Fred,
You won't hear me much this week, I am sailing from Greece to Alexandria Aegypt, jus crossing Creta (reason why I pick some 3G).
It's not really the flying season for me anymore, days are getting very short, we are on winter time (UTC+1), colder, icing never very far.
On the last Flight I have posted on reports, I was practicing approaches at Liege and mycopilot noticed a few ice cristals on the right stall strip while at 4000 feet in the clouds. The temp was near 0°C.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Jean »

Btw, yesterday, I did my first take off with ceiling 0 m and vis 200 m...as passenger in a Swiss A320 from Brussels to Zürich!
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Fred wrote:Either a lot of flying going on or everyone is running out of things to say.
Yep, that's what I thought. But although the number of active posters is quite small and we were all a bit quiet in the last few days, we have a lot of people silently reading previous posts. Some of them are logged in, others are not. The number of unique visits per day is nearly the same.

Jean, enjoy your sailing trip. Sailing helps to clear up your brains after an intensive summer where your thoughts are all in to your plane and flying. I found that flying keeps me busy all the time: mechanical issues, weather, trip planning, organization of hotels, rental cars, permits, currency requirements,.... it won't stop just because you landed. Flying makes you feel high and comes like any other addiction with all its joys and downsides.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I've been in Japan the past 2 weeks - finally returning home tomorrow. I, too, was amazed at the tiny number of new posts when I finally checked.
I wish I could say I flew my DA40 over here, but I'm not nearly as brave/crazy/adventurous as Kai! :-D Although I was happy NOT to be making the landing at Narita airport last week when the 777 finally dropped out of the clouds over the numbers at maybe 50'! :shock: Very impressive...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

Hi Fred

I have been quiet too...

I have just got home from being outback for 4 days retrieving my DA 40. It was an adventure! Lots of reports and photos to upload.

By the way, good luck for the aerobatics. I did mine in a Decathalon, It was amazing, learning to fly again in a tail dragger. You learn so much about aircraft handling, my instructor made me fly the tailwheel on all 4 runways some times a 10 knot tailwind, sometimes a 10 knot crosswind from both sides, and rarely a headwind.

Time to download the photos...

Cheers
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Henrikl
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrikl
Aircraft Registration: D-EZDC
Airports: EDHL

Post by Henrikl »

I have been quite too. I am working on my Night VFR Rating (when weather permits it, which it currently doesn't)
Cheers
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Henrikl wrote:I have been quite too. I am working on my Night VFR Rating (when weather permits it, which it currently doesn't)
Cheers
That's interesting - which country are in you for a night VFR rating?

In the USA there is just one VFR rating that covers it all.

As far as here in my neck of the woods - Adirondacks mountains, North East USA, this time of year for the next 4 months or so my IFR rating will be close to useless in my opinion since our clouds are full of ice now which I will not go near in my not much ice-coping equipped DA40. So for the next 4 months I will wish I had the FIKI DA42.
Henrikl
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrikl
Aircraft Registration: D-EZDC
Airports: EDHL

Post by Henrikl »

Hi Erik,
In germany you need a extra night qualification (NVFR) which requires 5 hours of flight by night. 3 hours with a teacher, at least one flight more than 1 hour and 5 starts and landings to a full stop. You also need a CVFR, but that is already included in the current JAR/FCL-License.
When you have the qualification you need a flightplan for every flight after sunset and you need an open airport (which is sometimes hard to find, we live in densely populated europe).

here the clouds are too low and the wind is a bit too strong for training night landings (wind is just calming down from 30 kn)
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Jean »

Henrikl wrote:Hi Erik,
In germany you need a extra night qualification (NVFR) which requires 5 hours of flight by night. 3 hours with a teacher, at least one flight more than 1 hour and 5 starts and landings to a full stop. You also need a CVFR, but that is already included in the current JAR/FCL-License.
Same in Belgium