Prop overal and other technical question

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Enrouk1

Prop overal and other technical question

Post by Enrouk1 »

Hi guy, im new here, my name is Enrick With my new da-40 aircraft.

when i buy the aircraft, i saw the 6 year is almost there for the prop overall, but, the seller told me, they receive a 5 year corossion inspection on it and no need to receive overal im just not shure, i dig on your furum a litle bit but not find really my need....

its a Hartzell aluminium 2 blade prop with variable pitch (no reverse) its a 2005 da-40 stars serial 40467 with the IO 360 engine. no dent or nothing bad to said about the prop.

1- do i realy need to do the overal
2- do i need to send the hub at the same time
3-do i need to send the governor at the same time
4-do i need to send the spiner too
5-im from The Quebec aera in Canada, do you have some sugestion where to send it or i need to proceed with diamond aircraft or else

6- when i stop the engine and the prop slow down to stop, at the very end my cockpit panel is shaking like hell, can this thing be hard on my avionic and g1000 or its normal

7-can someone can told me what is the last g1000 update number ?
8-i want to have SVT Upgrade, any sugestion and tips... or option .... when you purchase it,

Thanks again to help me,
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Prop overal and other thecincal question

Post by Chris B »

Hi Enrick -

Welcome to DAN!

I can only address some of your questions:

>> 1- do i realy need to do the overal

Legally?
In the US, TBO is optional for private ("Part 91") operators. I believe that the same is true in Canada, but am not certain.

Practically?
The story is different for an MT prop. But for a Hartzell, unless the prop is leaking grease (generally resulting in splatter on the canopy), IMO no. Even if it gets to the point of needing repair, consider a "re-seal" rather than an overhaul. Basically this is an IRAN (inspect & repair as necessary), much less expensive, and has minimal impact on prop life.

Note that the Hartzell prop should periodically be - properly! - greased. From speaking with Hartzell tech reps and two prop shops, this is often screwed-up, leading to burst seals.

>> 2- do i need to send the hub at the same time
>> 3-do i need to send the governor at the same time

Yes. The entire prop assembly.

>> 4-do i need to send the spiner too

No.

>> 6- when i stop the engine and the prop slow down to stop, at the very end my cockpit panel is shaking like hell, can this thing be hard on my avionic and g1000 or its normal

This shaking is one of the standard "features" of the aluminum Hartzell prop. ;)

Chris
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Hendrick,
Welcome do DAN !
We operate a 2004 DA40 with Hartzell prop in Belgium and we did not procede to the prop overhaul yet.
We had the governor overhauled related to an AD concerning our governor serial number.
We are very happy with that prop and it also shakes our panel at shutdown, with no avionic problem.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Enrouk1

Post by Enrouk1 »

Thanks guy, for the information, they will help to understand a litle bit more of my new aircraft.

i have a lot to learn from you, im low time pilote, new in glass cockpit, but this is like my ferari of the sky...

i have a light bulb burn in the flaps selectore, the green one, i read one or 2 post about this and led conversion, but i have proble to find the part for it, and want to put led to the roof top at the same time....

i will fly it for 3 or 4 month, and i will put them in to the hangard and i will start to make my interior refurbishement and exterior too.

i will go in the next month or 2 to kingston avionic for the SVT upgrade, and load it with the lastes version on it and with other garmin g1000 upgrade, im looking foward to put the satelite conection on in for live weather...

thanks again for your help...
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Post by Cschobel »

Has your aircraft been upgraded to WAAS? if not you are limited to an earlier software and I don't think you can get SVT.
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
Cschobel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Post by Cschobel »

I have a 2005 DA40 WAAS and I just updated the software to the latest version 321.23.
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

We have the SVT upgrade without WAAS. We did mot make the last software upgrade.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

SVT is NOT dependent on WAAS in any way. You can add SVT to any G1000 as long as it is version 321.19 (released in 2008) or later - that's when the feature was added. It'll run you about $10,000 though...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I wish Garmin would figure out that for a couple grand I have the top-of-the-line iPad, a great mount, Foreflight with a Stratus 2b and synthetic vision. I could even get fancy have have a field-approval for a USB power port. And it would all work even if the G1000 system went black (which happened once when I lost my alternator).

So maybe $10k is a little more than the market can bear right now. I would probably pay $1,500 without blinking.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Enrouk
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Enrick
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: C-GBUV
Airports: CYOW

Post by Enrouk »

hi guys, i not have the waas on it, but at the moment, i have not really have the need for it, my next step is a almost new or a new diamond aircraft, and i will ask to have all the option on it...