5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: DA50 turbine

Post by Antoine »

Wow. Thanks Kai.
I thought that the show airplane was just a show stunt.
Diamond is exploring a new niche: fixed gear non-pressurized turboprop.
This will positively impact insurance and operating costs but the challenge will be to get enough fuel efficiency below 20'000 feet. Does anyone know the SFC of this engine?
And hopefully they will have fired the designer before they stabilize the looks of the plane!!! Must have been the same guy who did the DA40-NG
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Post by mdieter »

Very exciting possibilities. Hope this makes it to the US. I have to agree they need a little more time on the cowl appearance especially!!
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Antoine wrote:Wow. Thanks Kai.
I thought that the show airplane was just a show stunt.
You are very welcome, Antoine. Diamond wouldn't do anything for show. Diamond will explain its wisdom again in Friedrichshafen as they did in the previous year and with the three previous versions of the DA50 and we will all be amazed.
Antoine wrote:Diamond is exploring a new niche: fixed gear non-pressurized turboprop.
Come on: for training it makes sense. Why would you want to distract the pilot's attention who is new to turbine engines with another complication, such as retracting landing gear?? In all fairness: the front wheel at least looks retractable.
Antoine wrote: This will positively impact insurance and operating costs but the challenge will be to get enough fuel efficiency below 20'000 feet. Does anyone know the SFC of this engine?
Nope, but maybe similar to the one of the AI450M? Then it would be 0.27kg/hp h. Look here
Antoine wrote:And hopefully they will have fired the designer before they stabilize the looks of the plane!!! Must have been the same guy who did the DA40-NG
As an admin of this board, I strongly advise you to stay fair with your comments: they have used a Ucrainian avantgardist who was inspired by great immortal designs such as the AK-47 and the nutcracker.

Antoine, this is the same DA50 which they have had pushing into the Aero Friedrichshafen for years just that they have now bolted on a turbine. If I am not mistaken, the cowling has a different white than the rest of the fuselage, which indicates that the nose part has been done at a different time than the fuselage. With a few cans of spray it will be fixed.
DA50 JP7_turbine_maiden_flight_1.jpg  2434×1651 .png
A long time ago, when the DA50 had its maiden flights with the piston engine, I remember that it didn't have the range or payload they wanted. Initially it was announced with a 275 HP Diesel engine. Thielert fucked it up, as you might all remember. Then they implanted the new Austro AE300 and you can fly this awesome plane on 6-7 gph cruising over 150 kts. See http://www.diamondaircraft.com/aircraft/da50/

Also it was presented with a 350 HP Continental. Maiden flight in ... 2008? I am sure the new power unit has changed the range issue. The DA50 Magnum have been introduced in 2006, had its Maiden flight in 2007, so in over 8 years of constant development, 3 different engines from 170-450 hp I am confident that now they have the power unit and concept which will bring the breakthrough.

Btw, the DA50 will be exposed at the Aero 2015 in Friedrichshafen in April. From a mockup in 2013 to maiden flight in 2 years is not too bad considering the challenges on the design here

And OE-VLS was there in Friedrichshafen in 2012, see here Image and probably all previous years since 2007, just with different engines.

First time since the existence of the Diamondaviators.net, I am proud to leak a secret: in 2017 we will see the DA50 with an electric motor, presented as the outcome of the strategic partnership of Dassault, Siemens and Diamond. Latest in 2021 it will be powered with an ion-thruster, tires from the Mars rover and Dries will exchange his pilot jacket for a space suit. Partners: Russian Federal Space Agency and Paramount.
dries3.jpg
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

The video shows the engine being started using a GPU. If they can't fit a decent sized battery in it, I'm not sure how useful the proposed Tundra variant will be.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

I hope their claim of "200kts+" cruise speed is extremely conservative as this can be achieved at a much lower operating cost with a piston aircraft (SR22T for example).
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

According to the engine manufacturer's website, the specific fuel consumption at cruise making 300 hp works out to about 30 gph JetA.

That's still less than a slower Beech Baron BE58 piston twin running LOP, with a comparable sized cabin. So while not close to the fuel economy of a DA62 diesel with the same DA50 fuselage, the DA50 turbine fuel consumption is not unreasonable.

However, I'm curious where they're going to put the extra fuel tanks: 25 gallons per DA40/DA42-derived wing is only about 1/3 of what will be needed for acceptable range.

If I wanted a G1000 turboprop composite single I'd rather build a retractable-gear pressurized Lancair Evolution with the tried-and-true PT6 engine. It even has a new rough-field gear option for grass runways to compete with a Tundra DA50.

For Diamond's sake they better hope that the ruble vs. euro exchange rate improves to where Russian customers can afford a turbine DA50.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

CFIDave wrote:
If I wanted a G1000 turboprop composite single I'd rather build a retractable-gear pressurized Lancair Evolution with the tried-and-true PT6 engine. It even has a new rough-field gear option for grass runways to compete with a Tundra DA50.

For Diamond's sake they better hope that the ruble vs. euro exchange rate improves to where Russian customers can afford a turbine DA50.
The Lancair claims a 270kt-cruise on 25 gph vs a 200kt-cruise of the DA50 on maybe 30gph? PT-6 has up to 750hp. The Sich is rated 380hp or so? It will be interesting to see the real world data.

But then you can't compare apples with pears: The Lancair Evolution is still an Experimental and probably always will be one and the DA50 at least aims to get certified.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

It is normal to start a turbine powered aircraft from a GPU. This is recommended for all turbines.
Keith M wrote:The video shows the engine being started using a GPU. If they can't fit a decent sized battery in it, I'm not sure how useful the proposed Tundra variant will be.
keithPTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Airports: KFFC

Post by keithPTC »

Lance Murray wrote:It is normal to start a turbine powered aircraft from a GPU. This is recommended for all turbines.
I will have to respectfully disagree. Years ago I had many thousands of hours operating PT6, Garrett, & RR Dart turboprops. All started just fine on internal battery. That was normal procedure.