5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Possible tail damage using a winch

Post by Gary »

Moderator's note: This topic was split from the Dead Battery thread.
Erik wrote:I use a winch at the back of my hangar that I installed - the setup cost roughly $100 - it is great for icy days - and I use spike shoe covers too. Just remember to take the spikes off before you climb into the plane!
I've considered a winch but a while back somebody ripped off the tailfin from a DA40 using a winch.
Last edited by Chris on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add note about splitting topic
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Re: Dead battery

Post by Erik »

Gary wrote:
Erik wrote:I use a winch at the back of my hangar that I installed - the setup cost roughly $100 - it is great for icy days - and I use spike shoe covers too. Just remember to take the spikes off before you climb into the plane!
I've considered a winch but a while back somebody ripped off the tailfin from a DA40 using a winch.
Wow - I am shocked a winch could pull off a tail fin. This is the same tail fin that needs to withstand the tie-down forces of a gail of a storm, which I would expect would be much greater than the relatively small forces of pulling the airplane backward at 1mph - it is the same force you apply yourself when pushing the nose wheel and prop - but pulling from the tail. Of course I am winching a mooney now but I used to winch a DA40. Nothing broke for me.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Erik wrote:
Gary wrote:
Wow - I am shocked a winch could pull off a tail fin. This is the same tail fin that needs to withstand the tie-down forces of a gail of a storm, which I would expect would be much greater than the relatively small forces of pulling the airplane backward at 1mph - it is the same force you apply yourself when pushing the nose wheel and prop - but pulling from the tail. Of course I am winching a mooney now but I used to winch a DA40. Nothing broke for me.
I think this was reported on the other site but I remember the photos and it was not pretty. Perhaps this winch was too strong and applied force too quickly. I am trying to find a low power slow winch to attach to the back wall of my hangar.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Ouch - that sounds expensive. Well mine is pretty low power and low tech.

I just got a cheap $35 winch from the local auto store, and I got a 12v battery to run it which runs off those clip type battery source - same as how you jump start your car. The whole thing was less than $100. I think like $75. Plus some bolts to bolt it to the back of the hangar beam along the floor. ANd a hard drill bit.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Gary wrote:
While using a winch you also have to use a little bit of common sense.
Tearing off a tail fin using a winch while pulling your plane into a hangar doesn't make any sense.
Something about that story just doesn't add up. :scratch:
I manually winch my plane into the hangar so I can feel the tension build. Also, nylon three strand is more elastic than braided. I hope you're not using steel cable.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Something about that story just doesn't add up. :scratch:
Reminds me of a classic scene from The Gods Must Be Crazy. :D

Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

I agree, there's something not being told here... :scratch:
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

I use a powered winch as well. Have about 6 inch clearance on each wing going into the hanger. Read about the winch option here, in another thread, and saw a YouTube video of a guy using a winch to get his da40 into a 40' hanger. Copied exactly what the guy did in the video and it's worked great! There was mention of someone damaging a tail in the other thread, I just don't see how. Only thing I can think of is a heavy duty winch kept pulling when the plane was somehow immobile and couldn't move any further.

Video for winch setup I copied in my hanger:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=g_9e0gJt ... _9e0gJt6bg
Last edited by Gnomad on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Gnomad wrote:I use a powered winch as well. Have about 6 inch clearance on each wing going into the hanger. Read about the winch option here, in another thread, and saw a YouTube video of a guy using a winch to get his da40 into a 40' hanger. Copied exactly what the guy did in the video and it's worked great! There was mention of someone damaging a tail in the other thread, I just don't see how. Only thing I can think of is a heavy duty winch kept pulling when the plane was somehow immobile and couldn't move any further.
Gnomad wrote:I use a powered winch as well. Have about 6 inch clearance on each wing going into the hanger. Read about the winch option here, in another thread, and saw a YouTube video of a guy using a winch to get his da40 into a 40' hanger. Copied exactly what the guy did in the video and it's worked great! There was mention of someone damaging a tail in the other thread, I just don't see how. Only thing I can think of is a heavy duty winch kept pulling when the plane was somehow immobile and couldn't move any further.
I think it was in the other forum and I don't go there anymore. Perhaps somebody here who still has membership in DAA can do a search and report the results. The photos were impressive. I don't know what he did wrong or how it is possible to apply excessive force during winching.
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Here is the post...lots of discussion on winching through the years, just as here. Lots of people using winches and powertows. One isolated post with apparently no details. Anyway, here is what I found...

Post by Jay Hanson 12-24-2006 in DA40 thread Using a winch:
"I used a winch for about three weeks before the skid broke. I presently have a tear in the material by the tie down point of the tail skid (its a sacrificial part). If you wanted to know, there is a metal ring set in foam covered in the skin. For me, it was not strong enough to use a winch. Next service, I am bringing it in to find out how much it will cost me to fix. I would strongly recommend against winching the plane, but if you want to I can sell you a winch cheap."

p.s. think we get off topic just a bit. ;)
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a