1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Adrian
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N37NA
Airports: KCXY

Fuel measuring device for DA40 with long range. Tanks

Post by amaniu1 »

I am looking for a DA40 fuel measuring device. I have long range 50 gal tanks. So far google and the usual online pilot shops were no help. Any ideas would be highly appreciated. Adrian
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Re: Fuel measuring device for DA40 with long range. Tanks

Post by Graham »

Did you try contacting Diamond directly? Here is their contact info. They have been very helpful in the past.

http://www.diamondaircraft.com/contact/index.php
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Welcome to DAN Adrian.
You should normally have a fuel measuring device from DAI, made of a glass graduated tubing that fits in a pin hole in the stall strip of each wing. You plug it to the tank drain and read the fuel quantity. Not very handy but it works. I guess this DAI made instrument is the only one on the market. If you don't have one, I would also recommend you'd contact a Diamond Dealer.
If you have a G1000 glass cockpit, you have a quite reliable electronic fuel meter.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
amaniu1
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by amaniu1 »

Thank you for the advice. I am the second owner of the plane and it was delivered without one. I will try to contact Diamond. Adrian
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

I checked w/Diamond recently, and the 25 gal fuel measuring device (part D41-2807-90-00) was USD478 excluding freight!!
Nigel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: C-GVFX
Airports: CYTZ, CNK4, KOLE, N56

Post by Nigel »

Henrik wrote:I checked w/Diamond recently, and the 25 gal fuel measuring device (part D41-2807-90-00) was USD478 excluding freight!!
There was a reason it wasn't with the plane when you bought it... it's useless! Don't bother replacing it. They break if you look at them wrong. I replaced the the glass tube which broke within weeks with flexible plastic tubing, put it under the back deck and haven't looked at it since 2005.
Nigel McGrath
C-GVFX DA40-180 SN 40.585 (2005) SOLD in 2013, now based somewhere in California.
I'm STILL in a state of serious withdrawal.

Cell.416-560-0603
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

Hello Adrian

I agree with Nigel.

My fuel measuring device broke easily as well. I have to say I do not rely very much on this device.

I am very happy with the G1000 fuel measuring electronic meter. I find mine is very accurrate, the total is within 0.25 of a gallon when I go to refuel.

HOWEVER you need to make sure that when you top up, that you reset the meter total accurately.

In Australia the regulations say we have to check fuel quantity by 2 different methods eg dipstick of some other fuel measuring device and fuel gauge.

Regards

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Welcome, Adrian!

I also agree with Nigel and Robin - don't waste your money. My first DA40 came the the "fuel measuring device" (which soon came to be known as the "fuel draining device"), and we faithfully tried to use it as instructed several times before finally just giving up. The DA40 I'm flying now doesn't have one, and I've never missed it. Between the G1000 fuel totalizer and the gauges, you have two independent estimates of the remaining fuel. And if there is any doubt, I just top off and reset! I also find the G1000 fuel system to be VERY accurate. I can always predict within a few tenths of a gallon the fuel required to top-off, every time.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
amaniu1
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by amaniu1 »

Thanks for your input. I always top off the tanks if I fly more than one hour, so I guess I should be in good shape. I didn't realize it's such a pain to use. I do have the G!000 and I use the fuel totalizer, I just wanted to do it "by the book". I suppose nobody checks tire pressures before each flight either, I tried it once and it took me 15 minutes, the wheel pants are realy in the way.

Adrian
Nigel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: C-GVFX
Airports: CYTZ, CNK4, KOLE, N56

Post by Nigel »

Adrian, I don't know what year your DA40 is but later models come with modified wheel pants with a hinged hatch for air valve access. I like to think that those lucky enough to have that improvement pay for their smugness with extra aerodynamic drag. ;) I just squat down in front and visually note the tire shape relative to the sidewalls... its worked for six years.
Nigel McGrath
C-GVFX DA40-180 SN 40.585 (2005) SOLD in 2013, now based somewhere in California.
I'm STILL in a state of serious withdrawal.

Cell.416-560-0603