3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N430JP
Airports: KBDR

Do I Need The GFC700?

Post by Scotsman58 »

Hi. I'm a new member of this forum.

I'm looking to upgrade from my LSA (a Flight Design CTLS) to a 4-seat certificated aircraft. My first choice is the DA40.

My mission is (1) flying for challenge and pleasure; (2) short trips (within New England -- I'm based in Bridgeport, CT); and (3) training for my instrument.

Here's my question. Should I consider paying up to get a 2007 XL or later that has the Garmin GFC700 autopilot? Seems that it will cost me in the vicinity of $40 to $50k extra.

I'm not sure that I will really need it for my mission (although I could imagine coming to want it for my IFR training). But I feel that I should have an eye to resale value.

I would appreciate any input from others who have confronted the same decision.

Thanks!
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Frank
Aircraft Registration: C-FRZA 40.509
Airports: CYBW

Re: Do I Need The GFC700?

Post by Star57 »

If your Bank account allows ...dont even think twice! remenber you will have the same AP as a Citation Mustang :thumbsup: , it will be WAAS, you'll have a FLC button, you will also get the airbags (mostlikelly) as well as the 50 gallon tanks.
I was too cheap and P.....r skrued me out of a deal, :x so Im stuck with a KAP 140...I will survive, and I will get over it :cry:

When you want to resell it you will get most of your money back, the KAP 140 need to go to Olathe KS very often to the Honeywell repair station, I was just too tired of looking at AC and pulled the trigger onan 05 with low hours and 40 gallons
Next AC will have a GFC700!
Good luck
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Post by Joey »

It's hard to justify "needing" an airplane but I can sure understand "wanting". Regarding the GFC700, it will just spoil you. I also highly recommend SVT if you are going to be in the IFR arena. The enhanced situational awareness is breath taking and there is a definate difference when the display is turned off. The XL's or XLS's will give you all of the goodies including WAAS. If size is an issue, the bubble canopy of the XLS is a real plus. The 08 XLS's and 07 XL's are very attractive in price now also, but still slightly north of 200k. Cut your price in half and get a partner.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Scotsman58 wrote:
Here's my question. Should I consider paying up to get a 2007 XL or later that has the Garmin GFC700 autopilot? Seems that it will cost me in the vicinity of $40 to $50k extra.
Hello John and welcome to DAN!

I fully agree with Tim and would like to add that it´s money you don´t lose and will make it a lot easier to sell your plane once you decide to step up. If you decide to keep it long term, you want it anyway :)
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

I have never met a single pilot who has an auto pilot who wishes they never did.
I have met plenty of pilots who do not have auto pilots who wish they did.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The GFC700 is nice but the KAP 140 is good enough to do the job well.
cbrinton
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N563DS 40.863
Airports: KHPN

Post by cbrinton »

Hey John, I found myself very much in the same place as you 6 months ago when I got a sweet deal from P....r (hope I didnt steal yours Frank!) on a 2008 XLS. I decided to go with the extra equipment because I knew I would be getting my IFR in it and I like having all of the extra capabilities available, even if I dont use them every trip.

Im located at HPN if you want to link up and share thoughts.
Scotsman58
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Scotsman58 »

Thanks for these replies. Very helpful. Sounds like the consensus is to go for it if I can swing it.
Scotsman58
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Scotsman58 »

cbrinton wrote:Hey John, I found myself very much in the same place as you 6 months ago when I got a sweet deal from P....r (hope I didnt steal yours Frank!) on a 2008 XLS. I decided to go with the extra equipment because I knew I would be getting my IFR in it and I like having all of the extra capabilities available, even if I dont use them every trip.

Im located at HPN if you want to link up and share thoughts.
Thanks, Chris. I would like to talk to you. Apparently, this forum won't let new members sent private messages. Is your plane N563DS? If yes, I can send you my e-mail address via snail mail.
John
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Frank
Aircraft Registration: C-FRZA 40.509
Airports: CYBW

Post by Star57 »

No Chris...you didnt get the one that I was buying, the one in question was a hybrid model, 2006 YM GFC700 and 50 Galon tanks.

The diference between my offer was 3k...I sugested to Mr Ramos to contact the owner and split the diference in half and get back to me with the answer, either way I was buying it.
He didnt get back to me at all...I called him and he informed me that they had taken another offer.

I will be buying a DA42 in the future, I can assure all, that it wont come for P.....r , unless hell freezes over, the consolation is that since then I had a friend that went somewhere else for a new one. :D

Thats the story, I didnt get kissed first either :oops: