3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-GVFX
Airports: CYTZ, CNK4, KOLE, N56

24V cockpit power outlet Gotcha!

Post by Nigel »

A caution to new owners or those of us that may have forgotten... I use my 24V outlet to power my Anywhere Map ATC/Nexrad unit in my DA40. My usual habit is to power down the ATC an then unplug the power to the Nexrad receiver. Somehow after a flight last Sunday I must have been distracted. I was about to start up for a flight with a guest on Wednesday morning only to discover that I had virtually no power. Certainly not enough to turn over the engine. So it only took three days for the satellite receiver to deplete the battery. According to my AM a full draw down of the battery is not necessarily a bad thing. It's what they do at annual to test the battery anyway. I wasn't planning any more flights for a few days (rain) so I opted for a slow recharge using my Battery Minder and will check how it's doing today (if it ever stops raining). Remember, the AC outlet is always live!
Nigel McGrath
C-GVFX DA40-180 SN 40.585 (2005) SOLD in 2013, now based somewhere in California.
I'm STILL in a state of serious withdrawal.

Cell.416-560-0603
Nigel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: C-GVFX
Airports: CYTZ, CNK4, KOLE, N56

Re: 24V cockpit power outlet Gotcha!

Post by Nigel »

Oops. Of course I meant DC outlet! ;)
Nigel McGrath
C-GVFX DA40-180 SN 40.585 (2005) SOLD in 2013, now based somewhere in California.
I'm STILL in a state of serious withdrawal.

Cell.416-560-0603
Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N395JP
Airports: KROA

Post by Tim »

Always live. Wow. Thanks for the heads up.
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

The overhead map lights are always live. I rarely use them but they can be unintentionally turned on. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs so hopefully the battery will last a while if one is left on.
Graham
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Graham
Airports: CYKZ

Post by Graham »

Gary wrote:The overhead map lights are always live. I rarely use them but they can be unintentionally turned on. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs so hopefully the battery will last a while if one is left on.
I checked this on my plane a few weeks ago and with the master off, they did not come on. I have a 2010 so I am wondering if they changed this feature at some point???
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Graham wrote:
Gary wrote:The overhead map lights are always live. I rarely use them but they can be unintentionally turned on. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs so hopefully the battery will last a while if one is left on.
I checked this on my plane a few weeks ago and with the master off, they did not come on. I have a 2010 so I am wondering if they changed this feature at some point???
It would be a good thing if they did.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Only the pilot side overhead light switch is always live on our XL. It would be very easy to accidentally leave it on after a night flight since it is a pretty dim lamp.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Chris wrote:
Only the pilot side overhead light switch is always live on our XL. It would be very easy to accidentally leave it on after a night flight since it is a pretty dim lamp.
I need to check again. It is possible that the some of the overhead lights are disabled when the master switch is turned off.
Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N395JP

Post by Tim »

I know from personal experience that the overhead lights stay on, at least in an '04, when the master is switched off. Luckily the field had a portable power source.
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE

Post by Rick »

Tim wrote:I know from personal experience that the overhead lights stay on, at least in an '04, when the master is switched off. Luckily the field had a portable power source.
It's only the pilot-side light - the other 2 only work when the master is on. I think the reasoning is that you might want some light before/after the master is on, although a flashlight seems like a safer alternative...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)